About the Architecture
Located on five acres of dense Ohia forest, this cast-in-place concrete house (Lavaflow 7) frames indoor and outdoor living spaces along with views of the forest, the sky, and the coastline. It continues our exploration of a reductive architecture that enhances the experience of living in this compelling environment.
The main feature of the house is a concrete beam, 140 foot long, 48 inch tall x 12 inch wide running the length of the building with only three short concrete walls supporting it along its massive span. The concrete beam allows for sizable spans of uninterrupted glass and covered outdoor space, creating a permeable edge between the man-made and nature, amplify the sensation of living in the Ohia forest.
About the Architect
Craig Steely Architecture is a San Francisco and Hawaii based Architect. He received his Architecture degree from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. While there, he was awarded a scholarship for international study and spent his thesis year in Florence, Italy studying with Cristiano Toraldo di Francia formerly of SUPERSTUDIO. After returning to California, he opened his architecture studio in 1995. Craig has been a guest lecturer at the University of California at Berkeley and at Cal Poly and at many conferences including the Monterey Design Conference. His work has been awarded recognition by the American Institute of Architects and published widely in books and periodicals, among them Dwell, Sunset,Architectural Record, California Home and Design, the Los Angeles Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, and the New York Times. In 2009 he was selected as an “Emerging Talent” by the AIA California Council. Click here for more information about Craig Steely.
We would love to hear from you on what you think about this post. We sincerely appreciate all your comments.
If you like this post please share it with friends. And feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss ideas for your next project!
FC3 ARCHITECTURE+DESIGN, LLC
P.O. Box 335, Hamburg, NJ 07419
Licensed in NJ, NY, PA, DE, CT.
Also Check Out:
- Awesome Modern House by Mima Architects
- Mixing My Work With Pleasure (Design-Build, Modern House Using Legos)
- Contemporary Philosophy – Postmodernism & Critical Theory – Álvaro Siza Vieira
- ABC Museum, Illustration and Design Center by Aranguren + Gallegos Architects
- Significant Architecture : 2012
- For All Those Impacted by Superstorms and Hurricanes: Make sure an AIA Architect is part of your rebuild team!
- SPACE & PROCESS
- House H / Sou Fujimoto
- Modern Retreat in Argentina, “Casa BB” by BAK Arquitectos
FC3 Architecture + Design LLC was brought on board as the design professional to address the damage to this existing home due to plumbing failures. This large four-bedroom suburban home located in Northern NJ (approximately 5,690 square feet) is in the process of being completely restored — just about every square inch of the home was damaged, repaired, and restored. This presentation chronicles the “before” and “during construction” photographs. We hope to upload the photos of the final project in the near future.
QUALITY CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN, LLC
17 New Hampshire Street
Newton, NJ 07860
Frank Cunha III, AIA, NCARB, LEED Green Assoc.
Principal / CEO / Registered Architect
Licensed in CT, DE, FL, NJ, NY, PA
FC3 ARCHITECTURE+DESIGN, LLC
P.O. Box 335
Hamburg, NJ 07419
Tel. (973) 718.4640
Fax. (973) 718.4641
Also Check Out:
- About @FC3Architecture +Design LLC
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Restoration to a Custom Home – Currently Under Construction (Northern NJ)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Under Construction (Wyckoff, NJ)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – On the Boards (East Orange, NJ)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – On the Boards (Catskills, NY)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Restoration in Portugal – Before and After
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Private Residence in Summit – Before and After
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Walgreens in South Plainfield – Before and After
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Family Dollar in Teaneck – Before and After
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – On the Boards (Cranford, New Jersey)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – On the Boards (Sparta, New Jersey)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – New Mixed Use Project in Newark, NJ
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – New Fitness Center in Newark Empowers Local Youth
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Architecture, Fitness and Fashion Collide at Willspace Fitness
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Big Flavor in a Small Package
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – On the Boards (Bedminster, NJ)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – On-The-Boards (Colonia, NJ)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Project Under Construction (North Arlington, NJ)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Schematic Design for a Private Residence (Edgewater, NJ)
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – Going Green? We Can help!
- @FC3ARCHITECTURE – If Architects Did Ads…