5. The “lazzzer” – documenting existing condition dimensions has never been easier, my brand of choice: Hilti
4. The laptop – today’s technology allows us to “Architect” on the go, great models available for both pc and mac platforms but be sure to max out RAM, video, and get a solid state harddrive; if you are going with a mac like me, check out this sound advise
3. Twin 30″ displays – for cad work and photoshop at the office, today there are great choices under $1,000 for each display
2. Mobile phone – responding to clients and contractors on the go, from Blackberrys to iPhones to Droids, Architects cannot be productive without one
1. The Tablet – great for referencing drawings in the field, meeting minutes, and notes, I love my iPad, it’s my favorite device, most effective for the price and syncs with all my other hardware, can’t image living without it, next time I’m upgrading from Wifi to a network plan so I can be limitless
5. Microsoft Project – manage projects utilizing this software to track milestones, durations, critical path activities, delays and recovery, from predesign to post-occupancy
4. Microsoft Suite – boring, yes, but still most effective way to prepare proposals, spreadsheets, and presentations
3. Adobe Photoshop – makes our cool projects look even cooler
2. Adobe Acrobat Pro – this is an unbelievable investment to help organize data for printing, distribution, and easy access, I can’t image not being able to use this software
1. Autodesk Revit – allows us to design and document our designs in 3-D, visualizing and presenting our ideas in a way unimaginable 20-30 years ago. Clients love the 3-D renderings and Architects love the ability to coordinate between plan, elevation, and section. It’s definitely worthy of the investment dollars to gain productivity and the ability to design in a “real” three dimension environment – You get to build the building “virtually” before building the building.
We would love to hear from you on what you think about this post. We sincerely appreciate all your comments.
If you like this post please share it with friends. And feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss ideas for your next project!
Frank Cunha III
I Love My Architect – Facebook
FC3 ARCHITECTURE+DESIGN, LLC
P.O. Box 335, Hamburg, NJ 07419
Licensed in NJ, NY, PA, DE, CT.
The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged or Anything else by Ayn Rand The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson The Poetry of Architecture by John Ruskin Mask of Medusa by John Hejduk Read the rest of this entry »
Mixed Media – Magazine Collage & Adobe Photoshop
by: Frank Cunha III